Random ramblings and TV-inspired activities

Tuesday 22 November 2011

Plant races



Let it never be said I don't share my failures as well as success.

I stand by the concept as sound in principle, but let down by poor execution and maintenance. Time has been at a premium of late as I have been prepping like mad for job interviews, fending off vomiting babies and slumping glassy-eyed on the sofa at the end of it all. The more eagle-eyed among you may have noticed that blog output has dropped accordingly.

I can't blame that alone on the failure of this project, as it has been some weeks now and the plant pots are resolute in their determination not to hint at any sign of germination. But hang on, you say, what exactly was the project? Allow me to divulge...

Having watched the Mr Bloom episode on 'growing', and having had some genuinely interesting conversations with ToddlerGirl about the difference between something that is made and something that is grown, the idea was to plant two fruit stones and then race them, to see which grew first. The result, as you can see, is a dead heat. Possibly with the emphasis on dead.

I may un-inter the fruit stones and see if anything at all had started to happen before I lapsed in my watering efforts but, as I may have mentioned previously, I'm a bit rubbish at growing stuff.

If you want to try such an enterprise and have more commitment to the cause than I, take:

2 plant pots
Some compost
2 fruit stones of different species - we used plum and peach

Stick compost in pots.
Plant stones in pots.
Water regularly.
Wait.
And wait.
And wait.

All rights reserved to give up and revert back to watercress...

0 comments:

Post a Comment